Thank you to our first round of sponsors! If you would like to sponsor our fundraiser, you can find the different levels on the event page.
- Anne Renna and Nicolas Owens
- Senator Ram Villivalam
- Alderman Daniel La Spata
- Pilsen Alliance
- Northwest Side Housing Center (NWSHC)
- Teamwork Englewood
- Fran Grossman
- Priya Shah
- Sara Strasser
- Audrey Wennink
Check it out: #RYHRaiseAGlass2020 Facebook frame! Show your support of RYH and help us spread the word on our 10 day virtual fundraiser by changing your FB profile picture frame! Here are the instructions:
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/profilepicframes.
- Search "Raise a Glass RYH".
- There are 2 versions: "Raise a Glass RYH2020-1" (logo is at the bottom) OR "Raise a Glass RYH2020-2" (logo is at the top).
- Choose one that fits better for your profile picture.
- Choose a duration to use the frame. We recommend setting it "custom", to switch back to the previous profile picture on "10/24/2020".
Illinois Districts: SAT with Essay, In Person & School-Administered for Class of 2021 (Seniors)
Context: The Class of 2021 missed the school-administered SAT with Essay at all IL schools (scheduled for April 2020) due to the pandemic & the IL Stay At Home Order.
We used IL State Board of Education (ISBE) resources, emails sent to parents from some CPS high schools, and conversations with parents and educators via social media to put this RYH webpage together. H/T to Illinois Families for Public Schools too! We’re providing this RYH webpage in hopes that you can ask more pointed questions within your family and/or to your school, then make an informed decision on if your senior should take the in person SAT now or in the Spring 2021.
LSC Events & News
RYH LSC Workshops
We are hosting a series of virtual workshops providing Local School Council (LSC) basics, candidate and election support. These sessions are intended to connect and empower parents and caregivers, community members, advocates and alum to engage schools through LSCs.
LSC 101: LSC Basics
Thursday, September 17th 6:00pm | Register
LSC 201: LSC Campaign Support
Saturday, September 19th 10:30am | Register
Saturday, September 26th 10:30am | Register
Wednesday, September 30th 7:30pm | Register
LSC 301: LSC Elections Support
Tuesday, October 6th 6:00pm | Register
Wednesday, October 14th 7:00pm | Register
LSC Elections In November | Candidate Nomination Period Reopened
Chalkbeat Chicago: Want to serve on a Local School Council? District offers a second chance
The LSC Candidate Nomination period REOPENED on Mon, Aug 31. Please see this letter from CPS. This is the CPS webpage to watch and visit for candidate materials.
NEW! Curious about which school LSCs you can serve on as a community member? Use this cool tool & search. Thanks, Josh Kalov, for creating & sharing!
Special Education Resources, Survey & Events
We have a new RYH Special Education Parent Resources for Remote Learning and More webpage. This is a work in progress and we will be adding resources as we create them or learn of them. If you have any suggestions, please pass the links along to Mary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chalkbeat Chicago has a survey for families of children with disabilities here: Chicago families: How is virtual special education going for your child?
➡️ RYH Special Ed Community Training on Transition with Equip for Equality
Tues, Sept 29 | 6PM | Via Zoom | Register here
Did you know your child with an IEP may be eligible for post-high school job skills training and supported work experiences (among other things) until they turn 22 years of age? Emily Wilson with Equip for Equality will present and answer questions about transition programs for students with disabilities.
➡️ SAVE THE DATE! Sat, Oct 17, 10AM - 12PM. Special Ed Legal Clinic with Loyola School of Law Civitas ChildLaw Center and Equip for Equality where you can speak 1:1 with an attorney or advocate about your specific special ed concerns. More details coming soon!
We’ve published some new RYH webpages and updated some others to provide some resources for parents. Please share with other parents!
- NEW! RYH Special Education Parent Resources for Remote Learning and More
- CPS Grab & Go Meal Sites Fall 2020: The Basics | COVID-19
- Back to School 2020-21: COVID-19 Resources The latest ISBE & CPS webpages, guidelines, FAQ docs, and other relevant links for parents.
- What Should I Do If My Child Is Being Bullied? - A Toolkit from Raise Your Hand, 2020-21 | ¿Qué debo hacer si mi hijo/a es objetivo de bullying? Un kit de herramientas de Raise Your Hand, Año Escolar 2020-21 Updated, Spanish translation provided, and a Remote Learning Supplement.
Here are a few CPS webpages that might be helpful for parents:
- NEW! In an email to parents Fri, Sept 11, CPS included a link to this CPS Back to School FAQ doc.
- Chicago Connected webpage | Chicago Connected Slides from OLSCR Bi-weekly Chat
- CPS School Reopening 2020-21 Many links here, phone numbers & emails for assistance.
Remote Learning: Resources + In The News
In August, we hosted a webinar with Logan Square Neighborhood Association (LSNA) and Grassroots Education Movement (GEM). We examined the wonderful LSNA Remote Learning Statement which was written by parent and youth leaders. You can find slides & small group discussion reports from the event here. We hope you can and will take some of these ideas back to your own school and community!
The press covers the good, the bad, and the ugly of remote learning! Lots of parent, student, and educator voice below.
Chicago Tribune: Pornografía, armas y racismo irrumpen en las aulas virtuales del nuevo año escolar | Remote learning has been marred by hackers and pranksters posting pornography, racist language and images of guns
Parents! The Press Wants To Hear From You!
- WBEZ's Curious City is looking for parents, students, and educators in the Chicagoland area to share a voice memo (no more than 1 minute) expressing your thoughts, concerns, and feelings about the coming school year. You can find some prompts, instructions, and guidelines here if you'd like to participate.
- Chalkbeat Chicago: Chicago families: How is virtual special education going for your child?
Trauma in Schools: A Toolkit
Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights, alongside the Transforming School Discipline Collaborative (TSDC), have released a Trauma Toolkit. You can read a blog post and download it here: It’s Time to Talk About Trauma: How COVID-19, Racial Unrest, and Chronic Stress Show Up in the Classroom.
We’d Like to Introduce You To... Diversify Our Narrative CPS!
"Diversify Our Narratives is a student-led initiative that is demanding CPS to expand the curriculum to include diverse and anti-racist texts." Please consider:
- Signing their petition. CPS educators, students, alumni, and parents are eligible to sign.
- Following them on Instagram. There's some great content there!
- Sharing these slides with your CPS student if you think they’d like to get involved.
In Other News
Sun-Times: Another key player in CPS’ Barbara Byrd-Bennett scandal gets to leave prison because of COVID-19 (SUPES scandal)
Sun-Times: CPS CEO’s ex-chief of staff pleads guilty to lying to feds (A very recent CPS scandal)
Hosted by Illinois Families for Public Schools
Virtual Info Session + Phone Banking | Various Dates, 6-8PM
Sun, Sept 27
Hosted by Avondale Mutual Aid | Th, Sept 17 | 6:30PM | Virtual Panel | Register Here
Wed, Sept 23 | 10:30AM | Via Zoom | Online registration to speak here
Meeting details are here. Online sign up to speak starts Mon, Sept 21, 10:30AM. The agenda will post at 10am. Sign up + meeting details here. You can try to register via the phone (312) 989-7313- check the links here to make sure this is the correct number on registration day.
You can submit comments to the BOE via a Google form which will be linked toward the top of the homepage of the CPS BOE webpage here OR send them via US Mail at 1 N. Dearborn, Suite 950, Chicago IL 60602. The meeting will be live streamed on the CPS YouTube channel.
Please contact Jennie if you have any questions about the BOE meetings: email@example.com.