(Possible) Strike(s) starts Thursday + RYH Fundraiser in 11 days + important sped updates!

Our new(ish) Executive Director, Jianan Shi, is celebrating his birthday! Wish him a happy, relaxing birthday weekend by BUYING YOUR Raise a Glass for RYH TICKETS TODAY! 🥳 Continue reading

October 17- Possible Strike Date

Strike Update:  Last night CTU’s House of Delegates set Thursday, October 17 as the possible start of a teachers’ strike. This is the same day that SEIU Local 73 (school district staff) and Chicago Park District workers could start strikes. WBEZ: Chicago Teachers And Two Other Unions Set Strike Date Sun-Times: 35,000 Chicago teachers, school support staff and park district workers set joint strike date As we noted in our email blast sent last week: This does not mean there will definitely be a strike. We urge both sides to take every measure possible to avoid a strike. Continue reading

2019 Possible CTU/SEIU Strike: Resources for Parents + FAQs

The CTU has set October 17 as the possible start date of a possible teachers strike. The SEIU Local 73 (school staff) has set the same day as a possible start date of a possible strike. This does not mean there will definitely be a strike. We urge both sides to take every measure possible to avoid a strike. We urge parents to start researching and making plans for their children in case of a strike. We encourage families to support one another during the time of a potential strike- take turns with child care if possible. Below is a list of strike camps that parents can look into now to plan ahead for the possible teacher and school staff strikes. Please email jennie@ilraiseyourhand.org with other ideas. We will update this list as we become aware of camps. Please note that there are limited capacities at each of these, some are more costly than others, some offer scholarships, and there are a variety of times available.  Scroll down further for questions we are hearing from parents + answers which include links to learn more.  Continue reading

CTU Teachers Vote to Authorize Strike

The votes are in and 94% of Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) members voted to authorize a strike on September 26, 2019. (Illinois law mandates that 75% of CTU members must vote yes to authorize union leadership to call for a strike.) Continue reading

RYH Statements at the September 2019 CPS Board of Ed Meeting

We spoke at the September 25, 2019, monthly meeting of the unelected CPS Board of Education. Our prepared statements are below. You can watch video at these links: Jennie, Mary, and CEO Janice Jackson's response to both statements here. You can find our live tweets here. Continue reading

This Week in Ed 9.19.19: Upcoming events & Chi education news!

Please join us for any or all of the following events! The Advocate Group is holding a series of Special Education Workshops to help parents determine if their child may be eligible for extra special education services. Please join us! Visit this RYH web page for more details and for downloadable, shareable flyers.  Continue reading

Series of Special Education Workshops hosted by the Advocate Group

The Advocate Group is holding a series of Special Education Workshops to help parents determine if their child may be eligible for extra special education services. Please join us! Continue reading

Federal oversight of CPS to protect students from sexual violence

Parents received an email from CPS CEO Janice Jackson on Thursday, September 12. It really glossed over the harrowing findings of the US Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights and, instead, discussed the CPS "Comprehensive Plan of Action" which was implemented shortly after the Chicago Tribune exposed rampant sexual abuse within CPS.  Continue reading

This Week in Ed 9.12.19: TIFs on trial

On Wednesday, September 11, we joined our fellow plaintiff, Grassroots Collaborative, and our lawyers, Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and national Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights, and 60 supporters at the Circuit Court, Daley Center. The City filed a motion to dismiss our TIF litigation case which was filed in April. We heard the oral arguments from both sides. We expect a written ruling from the judge in a few weeks. Continue reading