Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights blog: Everything You Need to Know About Chicago's Local School Council Elections
UPDATE: The deadline to submit application forms to school at which you are running is 3:00pm on October 2.
Everything you need to to apply for your school's LSC can be found at the CPS LSC Elections webpage.
Are you a community member? In order to be a Community Representative on a Chicago Public Schools Local School Council, you must live within the school's LSC voting district. Use this tool to find out at which schools you can run (and vote).
Chalkbeat Chicago, Sept 22: Chicago’s school council elections are around the corner. Here’s your guide
Download our LSC Workshop Series flyer:
LSC 101: LSC Basics- we’ve added 2 more sessions!
Thursday, September 24th at 6:00pm | Register
Monday, September 28th at 5:00pm | Register
Powers and Duties of LSCs*
*Pages 8-9 of LSC Reference Guide
POWERPOINT: LSC 101 and LSC Election Basics
Natasha Erskine, RYH Parent Organizer
CPS LSC Relations - The CPS Office of LSC Relations website includes:
- Basic LSC responsibilities
- LSC representative eligibility
- LSC election forms
- LSC election timelines
- Schedules for required LSC trainings
Official LSC Reference Guide
- LSC Reference Guide in English: https://www.cps.edu/globalassets/cps-pages/about/local-school-councils-lscs/lscreferenceguide_english2018_2020.pdf
- LSC Reference Guide in Spanish: https://www.cps.edu/globalassets/cps-pages/about/local-school-councils-lscs/lscreferenceguide_spanish2018_2020.pdf
VIDEO: Perspectives on school governance and the powers of an LSC, Panel discussion at LSC Summit 2020
LSC Summit hosted by LSCs.4.All Coalition, January 25, 2020
Panelists discuss the history and power of Local School Councils.
- Moderator: Jhoanna Maldonado (CTU Organizer and former LSC teacher representative)
- Karen Zaccor is a member of Northside Action for Justice. She is a science educator and LSC member at Uplift Community HS. She was one of the first parent LSC members when LSCs were founded in 1989.
- Brother Jitu Brown is the director of Journey 4 Justice, a national coalition organization that fights for public education. He is a life-long Chicago activist who was a leader of the Dyett Hunger Strike and has organized around LSCs with KOCO.
- Jeanette Taylor is the alderman of the 20th ward. Before public office, Jeanette was a parent organizer for KOCO where she fought to improve the effectiveness and engagement of LSCs. She was also a Dyett H.S. Hunger Striker in 2015.