News broke Thursday that JC Brizard, the CEO for CPS from April 2011 to present, resigned from his position. He is reportedly leaving on “mutually agreeable terms” with CPS after much speculation in the press. This is the 5th turn-over of this position in 4 years. We wish Mr. Brizard the best in his future endeavors and congratulate Ms. Byrd-Bennett on her new position. We hope to meet with her at some point to discuss the issues that remain most pressing to parents in our membership.
RYH is collecting information to share with you and a chronology of Ms. Byrd-Bennett's work is shown below. This may be incomplete at this time.
- 2012 Interim Chief Education Officer at CPS for last four months (attended CTU negotiations)
- 2009-2011 Head of Detroit Public Schools: Chief Academic and Accountability Officer (recruited through the Broad Foundation)
- 2006-2009 Superintendent in Residency of Harcourt School Publishers, Chicago
- Regional Executive Officer, New Leaders for New Schools, DC
- 1998-2006 CEO of Cleveland Public Schools (77,000 students), Cleveland OH
- Superintendent of two disticts in NY, Crown Heights in Brooklyn and "Chancellor's District"
- Principal of Harlem school - 8 years
- Previously worked for 12 years as an elementary and high school teacher in NY.
- Adjunct professor at Malcolm King College in Harlem, City College in New York City, the College of New Rochelle, and Fordham University.
K12 Inc Advisory Board Member – a for-profit virtual charter company serving kids through online learning. Read about them here: http://www.k12.com/schools-programs/online-public-schools
Common Core Curriculum Mapping Project Board Member (http://www.commoncore.org/wwa-trust-bb.php)
United States Department of Education National Assessment Governing Board, the
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
Education Commission of the States
National Center for Education Accountability
Albert Shanker Institute.
Chairs the American Federation of Teachers Innovation Fund
PhD., Columbia University, New York
MA., Englis Lit, New York University
MEA., Pace University in New York
BA., Long Island University
Barbara Byrd Bennet's academic plan from Detroit Public Schools: